Sunday, August 3, 2008

More From London

I know I said the next time I posted would be from Amsterdam, but I lied. Deal with it. :-)

The walking tour was cool. We got to see the changing of the guards at Buckingham palace which was neat. Took lots of pictures. To save some pounds we ate lunch at McDonalds, but even that was over $10. They had some interesting things on the menu that they don't have back home. I got an oriental BBQ cheeseburger. It was, um, interesting...

After lunch we got on the bus tour and rode to Westminster Abbey. We planned to get off and take a tour but it isn't open to the public on Sundays. Crap. So instead we stayed on the bus and went to the Tower of London which was cool. We're going to hit Westminster Abbey when we come back through London after Paris.

Even though we checked out of the hostel this morning we were able to store our luggage there for a small, large fee of course. We picked up our bags and took the Tube to Liverpool St, which is where we are now. On a side note, London's Tube system puts the CTA to SHAME in every way. It's timely, clean, basically everything the CTA isn't. Certainly isn't cheap though. We are taking a train from here to Harwich, where we will catch a ferry to Holland. Then another train to Amsterdam.

The train doesn't leave for a few hours so we are sitting in the Woodin's Shades Pub drinking warm pints. Yeah, for some reason they serve beer warm in London. The beer is really tasty though, so it isn't that bad. Quite good actually. A Miller Lite this warm would be a different story. We will probably sit here and drink until it is time to board the train. I'm sure we'll eat dinner here too. They have a Sunday roast special that looks good, but I'm still hung up on getting sausage and mash. Like it matters. At this point I'm convinced either choice will be bland. Maybe I'll go to the KFC up the street for some flavor...

On another note, I am DIRTY. Me = sweaty and gross. I'm sure I smell wonderful. Surprisingly I don't care that much, but I'm definitely showering first thing in Amsterdam.

Ok, that's all for now. Back to my warm pint and contemplating what inevitably bland dish to get for dinner. I won't say the next post will be from Amsterdam again because I think I said that three posts ago. The next post will be when I post again. boo-ya.

Miss you all (well, some of you ;-)
Kevin

p.s. I would like to give a special shout out to Valeri for an e-mail of must see sights in London, Laurie for an e-mail of her ever awesome updates, and Ivy for texting to make sure I landed safely. Where are you MOM?? ;-)

Posted with LifeCast

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I should get a shout out for leaving all these comments on your blog :)