Sunday, August 3, 2008

Baked Beans for Breakfast?

Not a whole lot to report since my last post, but today will be a busy one so I wanted to get an update in while I had time.

I wanted "sausage and mash" for dinner last night, so we strolled around looking for a place. I asked the guy at the hostel front desk for some recommendations but he had "no idea." Sorry, but that's insane. You might not live here, but you at least work in London, yet can't recommend a place to eat? Wow.

We found a decent looking pub right by our hostel (where were you yesterday!) so we stopped in. One thing I realized is that pubs here are TINY compared to Chicago. Although that is probably true when comparing most European things to the American equivalent. Anyway, their gas was out at this pub so we just had a pint of local beer and moved on.

We decided to get on the tube and go back to Covent Garden which was even more busy at night than during the day. Street performers everywhere. Apparently the cool thing to do in London is sit along the sidewalks with your friends. There were people everywhere. We ended up stopping in the Scotch Steakhouse for dinner. Decent prices but the food was BLAND. Now that I think about it, all of the food has been bland so far.

After dinner I saw this donut shop and they looked good so I got a few. Bland. Dunkin Donuts is way better. After that we went back to the hostel to hang out and get ready for bed since we were both super tired.

We were lucky enough to be greeted by four Swiss dudes playing cards in our room when we got back. I was thinking, cool other travelers to talk to. No. They didn't seem interested in talking. As a matter of fact, most people we have come across here keep to themselves. I was hoping for a more friendly atmosphere in London.

Slept ok. People were coming and going until like 3:30am so that made it hard to sleep, but I feel pretty rested today. Got up super early to avoid shower lines. Ohhh the showers... GROSS. Smelly and tiny. I won't go into details, but it wasn't pretty. SO glad I remembered to bring shower shoes. After getting dressed we got breakfast in the hostel. It consisted of an egg, sausage, bacon, mushrooms?, a tomato?, and baked beans? Oh, and it was bland.

That brings us to now with me writing this blog. It is about 8:45am here. We have to be checked out by 10, and the walking tour to Buckingham Palace starts at 10:30. After that we are catching our bus tour to check out Westminster Abbey and the Tower of London. Our train to the Holland ferry leaves at 8pm tonight. To get to Amsterdam we take the train, a ferry, and another train. Should be interesting. We have a private "berth" on the ferry so hopefully we get a lot of sleep. I have a feeling we will need it for Amsterdam.

Sorry for rambling. I know I turned a minor update into a mini novel, but I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to post again.

Talk to you from Amsterdam,

Kevin



Posted with LifeCast

No comments: