Thursday, August 7, 2008

Guten Tag

Made it to Munich. The train ride wasn't too bad. We shared a six bed coach with two Asian girls who didn't speak English, and some random guy who was traveling alone. Talk about close quarters. It was basically two sets of three beds stacked on each other with little room in between. Luckily we had the bottom two bunks. I planned on going to bed right away but I started reading The Kite Runner and couldn't stop. I got about eighty pages in and decided it was time to sleep. The stupid light kept going off anyway. It seemed like they were cutting power at every stop.

It was kind of hard to sleep because there was this constant and incredibly loud screeching noise. The train arrived in Munich on time at about 7:15am. We found the hostel easily, but found out check in isn't until 2:00pm. Wonderful. I am very dirty, and pretty much in pajamas because I am wearing the clothes I did laundry in yesterday. I wanted to shower!!! The hostel let us store our luggage, gave us a map, and pretty much said get out until 2pm. So we found a place for breakfast and started studying the map. I wanted Weisswurst (traditional Bavarian breakfast) but ended up with a strussel pastry thing. I'll find Weisswurst tomorrow morning.

We ran into this American who runs a free bike tour. An American running a tour of Munich? You get what you pay for... It goes from 11-3:30 which works out because we can check into the hostel after. The tour meets in the Marienpiatz (main square) by the glockenspiel (big huge cuckoo clock, maybe the biggest in the world?). The clock goes of next pretty soon. It's supposed to be pretty crazy.

So for now we are chilling out here until the bike tour, then checking into the hostel. Tonight we are getting traditional Bavarian food for dinner and the going to Hofbrauhaus. It is supposed to be the most famous beer hall in the world. Can't wait!

Auf Widersehen! (I've been saying that the whole trip and now I'm finally in the right country!)

Kevin

Posted with LifeCast

No comments: