Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Amsterdam Cont.

I have eaten waaaaay too much Dutch bakery. Sorry, that was random.

Last night we went to the red light district. I don't even know what to say about it in a blog with such a wide audience that includes my mother and my boss, so I am opting to discuss it with you individually on a case by case basis. Sorry! To ease the curiosity, I did window look (there are so many it is impossible not to. Not that I was trying not to), but did not buy.

This morning we had free breakfast at the hostel which was little more than cereal. We set out for the day without much of a plan. We originally wanted to tour the Heineken plant, but it isn't open for tours due to renovations. Lame. We eventually ended up at the Van Gogh museum after a nice ride on the Tram (Amsterdam's public transit street car thing) . It was incredible. They had over two hundred original Van Gogh paintings. Other works included Monet and Manet. I personally think Monet is better... Yeah, because I know art.

Honestly, in some of the paintings I felt like the artist put more there than the picture itself. Hard to explain. My favorite was Van Gogh's White Orchard. Google it. There was an awesome video that showed xray images of a famous Van Gogh painting. These xrays uncovered three separate images underneath the painting itself. Apparently these other images were painted over due to the high cost of canvass. How cool is that? Imagine how many original works by famous artists there are that they themselves have painted over. If only they had known their art would one day be worth millions...

After the Van Gogh museum we wondered around the museum square. There was a cool park with awesome surrounding buildings. Took a lot of pictures. We are so cool. We got back on the tram and headed back toward the hostel. We stopped at a Dutch bakery where I got this waffle thing that was sooo good. I also got a donut. I might be getting fat.

Then was time for a nap. Could not sleep though so I got on the Internet for a while in the hostel. I then realized my blog entry from yesterday got cut off halfway through (as you might have read about in my previous entry). I promptly fixed that so none of you thought I got murdered mid-blog. Got dinner after that at McDonalds. Whatever. Food is expensive here. And yeah, they charged for ketchup too.

Then it was back to the hostel bar for a few beers. Now we are sitting at another pub outside with Amstels. Not sure what else we will do tonight. It has been an action packed last few days. Tomorrow we leave for Munich. The train doesn't leave until 8:00pm, so we might look for souvenirs, do laundry, and wonder around more before then.

That's all I got for now. Talk to you again soon!

Kevin

Posted with LifeCast

2 comments:

Karen said...

hmm...note to self...Bring condiments!

Unknown said...

One thing I hope you didn't do at the Red Light District is try to take pictures of the windows. They REALLY don't like that. I still got one, but hey, I'm special.

Also, the Heineken Brewery was supposed to re-open in May. I see the Dutch aren't so good about keeping on schedule.