Friday, August 15, 2008

Paris Day Two

Woke up and got free breakfast at the hostel. It was decent. Then took a shower and headed down to St. Michael's fountain where our free walking tour group was meeting. We had a few hours to kill so we walked around, looked at souvenirs and ate lunch. It is now official. We have eaten at McDonalds in every county we have visited. Oops. After lunch we met up with the tour group.

I think every tour guide I have had on this trip has been from America. This guy was from Texas. Strange. He was good though. We walked all the major sights including Notre Dame, the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, etc. Guided tour are great because you learn about the history of things. I recommend them unless you're a history pro. Guided tours are a must for someone like me who is directionally challenged, and knows very little about history. The four hours flew by. After that we headed back to the hostel to eat and change. We met up with my friend Gaelle from Loyola and some of her friends at a bar in the Bastille area. It was a cool place, and pints were only €3.80. Unheard of, especially since cokes with dinner the night before were €4.80 each. No free refills in Europe. Which I guess is a good thing because it's hard enough to find a WC (water closet, bathroom).

After drinks Gaelle and her friends were getting sushi. We figured what the hell, we can have a second dinner. We went to one of those places where the sushi comes around on a conveyor belt, and you pay by the plate. It was cool. After that they were all going to see the Dark Night, which we have both seen so we said our goodbyes and headed back to the hostel. Wasn't interested in seeing the joker dubbed in French.

It was late, so we were going to sleep but people kept coming into the room, turning on lights, and making noise so we went to the hostel bar. Chilled out there for a while with some beer, and then went back to the room. Everyone was finally quiet and in bed so we went to sleep.

This morning we got our free breakfast, showered, and are now heading to the Eiffel Tower for a closer look. After that we are going inside the Louvre which is massive. The tour guide yesterday said that if you spend one minute at each exhibit it will take two months or something like that to see it all. We will have to pick and choose what we look at. Good thing I only know of the Mona Lisa. Not sure yet what we are doing after the Louvre.

Sorry if my blogs have been losing excitement but I am TIRED. I feel like I have been gone for a lot longer than two weeks. That's probably due to the fact that I have seen and done more in the last two weeks than the last two years at home. We head back to London early tomorrow morning and fly home Sunday. I am determined to get through the rest of the time in Paris with the €35 in cash I have, and London with the £15 I have left over from when we were there at the beginning of the trip. I think if I go to an ATM one more time my debit card will disintegrate.

Au revoir,
Kevin

Posted with LifeCast

1 comment:

Karen said...

haha...disintegrate!