Friday, August 8, 2008

Day Trip To Fussen

We woke up late and missed the hostel breakfast so we got pastry instead. Fine by me. One thing I forgot to mention before is how nice the Munich hostel is. It is called Wombats, and is the nicest we have stayed in so far. Very clean, and a private bathroom in the room. There are six beds in our room but there is plenty if room to move around. Random note: my towel was STINKY when I went to shower this morning. Moldy for sure. I washed it in the bathroom sink. Who knows why I didn't wash it in Amsterdam when I did laundry.

So we decided to go see the Neuschwanstein castle which required a two hour train ride to Fussen. Once we got to Fussen we had to take a bus to a smaller village where the castle was. This village was awesome. It was at the foot of mountains (Alps?) The castle itself was built right into the side of a mountain. It was a pretty long walk uphill to get to the castle, but not too bad. Gave me the chance to burn off the two pastries I had for breakfast. Oh, and the snickers bar I got right before getting tickets for the castle.

The castle was really cool looking, and the tour of the inside was interesting. Honestly, I was a little underwhelmed with the history behind the castle though. It was built for a Bavarian king who died when it was only a third complete. The castle was never even used to house royalty. From what I gather, it was never used for much other than a tourist attraction. Whatever. It was worth the trip out here.

We are waiting for the train back to Munich now. Tonight will be more German food and huge beers at another beer hall. Not sure which one yet. Hofbrauhaus was awesome, but we want to try somewhere new.

The plan for tomorrow as of now is to visit the Dachau concentration camp. It will be another day trip, but a shorter one. After that we are going to walk around Munich some more. We leave for Rome tomorrow night.

I'll write again after the Dachau experience. From what I hear it is unforgettable.

Auf Widersehen,
Kevin

Posted with LifeCast

No comments: